Back in 2021, Facebook launched the marketplace as a platform for Facebook users to buy and sell. The platform works pretty well for sellers and buyers in almost the same location. While the platform does not really facilitate any transactional activity in the real sense of it, it, however, connects sellers to intending buyers for easy trading which is usually carried out afterward off the Facebook platform.
Well! Before the Marketplace was launched, people had seen the vast opportunity Facebook has to offer in terms of selling and getting more people to know about your goods and services, so it is not really a new process for users on the platform. However, the emergence of the Facebook marketplace makes selling on Facebook more organized and pronounced.
Facebook Marketplace is no doubt a fantastic option not just for casual sellers, but also for retailers, small business owners, and merchants.
You can effortlessly connect you potential buyers and sellers in your region.
However, every platform is designed to function in its own unique way, even though the Facebook marketplace is part of Facebook, it is important to understand how the platform works and how you can get the best from it as a seller or buyer.
In essence, we have created this clarity guide to take you through the process of selling and buying on Facebook Marketplace step by step.
The platform is generally available to anyone with a Facebook account in Nigeria, You can access the platform from Facebook.com/marketplace
Table of Contents
Steps to Use Facebook Marketplace
Whether you are on a desktop or mobile, you can access the Facebook marketplace.
1. Log in to Facebook to get started
2. Access Marketplace by Clicking on the shop icon either on desktop or mobile “Marketplace,” usually on top, among the five icons on your profile page
3. Create a Listing using the “Create New Listing” button
4. Select an Item for Sale
5. Add Photos of the item via the “Add Photos” menu and then upload image(s) of the item
6. Provide all necessary information about the item you’re listing including its description, location, and price.
7. Publish: Click “Publish” to post your listing.
What can you sell on Facebook Marketplace?
You can list physical products across different categories including shoes, items of clothing, electronics, pieces of furniture and fittings, etc, but products listed in the below categories as prohibited on the Facebook marketplace.
What can you not Sell on Facebook Marketplace?
While Facebook Marketplace offers a convenient platform for selling items, certain products and services are prohibited. These include:
- Digital Products are not sellable on the Facebook marketplace, at least I have yet to see a viable to do this
- Adult Products and toys are not allowed to be listed on the Facebook marketplace
- Alcohol beverages and related drinks are not allowed on the FB marketplace
- Body Parts and Fluids: You can not list human or animal body parts on the platform
- Weapons, Ammunition, or Explosives: The platform does not permit listing items like weapons, ammunition, or explosives
- Animals: The platform does not allow selling of pets and animals
- Jobs: I think Facebook does have a job section where you can post job listings, but the marketplace is not for jobs but for products
- Sexual Services: Sex trade or any service related to sexuality is not allowed on the platform
- Illegal, Prescription or Recreational Drugs are not allowed on the platform and those categorized as illegal substances, including prescription medications, or recreational drugs; are prohibited
- Ingestible Supplements such as dietary supplements are also not allowed on the FB marketplace
- Currency: Whether real, virtual, or fake currency cannot be listed on the platform
- Misleading, Deceptive, or Offensive Items that glorify misinformation, lead others into cunning deception, or are perceived offensive in any way are also not allowed
You need to take note of the above category of products, or else you may be banned from the platform. I was once banned for over 100 days on the Facebook Marketplace for posting a service unknowingly.
Payment on Facebook Marketplace
The payment method on Facebook Marketplace is at the discretion of the seller. All transactions and monetary exchange are done off the platform, which is why the Facebook marketplace can be categorized as more of a classified listing platform and not a marketplace where monetary exchange takes place as in e-commerce marketplaces like Konga and Jumia.
You can also utilize Facebook Messenger to chat with the buyer and decide on the most suitable payment method. You can also discuss a cash handoff or an agreement on a meeting point or means of exchange that is convenient for both you and the seller.
Warning: Facebook Marketplace scams are unfortunately common, even for sellers. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the red flags of scams and learn how to avoid and report them.
Tips for Successful Selling on Facebook Marketplace
To effectively stand out among the many sellers on Facebook Marketplace, consider these tips:
- Add a Video: Well I am yet to see a listing with Videos and am not sure if Facebook Marketplace in Nigeria permits uploading videos, however, if they do allow it, videos can come in handy to enhance your listing and make it more attractive.
- Competitive Pricing: Research the competition and price your items competitively.
- High-Quality Photos: Take clear and well-lit photos to showcase your items effectively.
- Timely Responses: Respond to questions promptly.
- Detailed Descriptions: Provide as much information as possible in your item description.
- Negotiate: Be open to offers and engage in negotiations with potential buyers.
- Use Tags: Utilize common Marketplace acronyms to make your listings easier to find:
By following these steps and guidelines, you can buy buy, and sell effortlessly on Facebook Marketplace. Need to read more powerful tips to sell in Nigeria, then you need to read this.